Wednesday

Dishonesty in Marketing

Yesterday I read several favorable reviews of WhiteSmoke Translator on various blogs. After seeing so many positive thoughts, I decided to click the links. Boy was I surprised when the links took me not to WhiteSmoke Translator, but to Babylon!
WhiteSmoke Translator and Babylon are competitors in the translation technology field, and each has its pros and cons, but that sort of dirty marketing was completely unacceptable to me. A company writing about its own product with links included is common marketing practice, but to write a review of another company and put links to a competing product is low.
Online marketing is so important to these companies these days and I guess there is no end to the lengths some companies are willing to go. At least WhiteSmoke Translator got some positive PR for free out of this, but I do believe Babylon employed morally ambiguous tactics in this situation.


I know it's rich coming from a lawyer, and since I'm considerably a successful lawyer it would be farfetched to assume I'm totally honest BUT some things piss me off as a consumer. By the way, just to annoy Babylon, I linked a bunch of times to WhiteSmoke here...so THERE.

Jane out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment